Quite officially, I am home again.
Returning 'home' after two years away, without even one small visit in the interim, is a tiny bit like waking from a very long sleep. Frankly, I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle. Things are mostly the same but a bit different too. People have changed a bit and I've missed it all. I'm not sure if I'm making the mistake of proclaiming to be a loyal subject when I say things like 'I don't know how to use my iPhone' or 'I'm sorry, I have no interest in watching that reality show you are saying is fantastic.'
Yet, home I am and everything is intimately familiar while also being strangely distant. My house is still home, but Boomer isn't returned yet so if I don't think too hard, I expect to hear her little feet padding after me. And then they don't and I'm confused, then sad, then weirded out how my brain 'expects' a noise in a familiar place. The television holds little interest to me, no matter how hard I try to get into the shows I've missed. And yet the hours drift by and I have no idea where they went.
At the heart of it though, I feel so completely comfortable and happy. I didn't experience much of a jet lag- I tried really hard to sleep in sync with America so that would happen smoothly. I still get tired pretty early- around 9:30 or 10 pm, but really, that's the time I was going to bed in Cambodia so I don't attribute that to jet lag. I wake up at a normal time and drink yummy coffee. My fingers find things that I thought I'd forgotten if I just let them lead and I don't over think it. Case in point, I stood in my kitchen looking for the light switch for ten minutes last Sunday. And then I turned the water on in the shower automatically later that morning, even though it's not the normal 'lefty loosey' situation; my hands just remembered because I did not think about it.
I have boxes upon boxes of things to unpack: clothes I asked Topher to leave for me to go through and other household items that he got tired of unpacking. I went upstairs to start that process yesterday, saw all that it entailed, and walked right back downstairs. Well, first I showered and did my hair. At 3 pm. You know.
Which, I can't really tell you how things have been going without mentioning the small change in hair I decided to go with as I headed home. Wrapping up chapters and all of that, while opening new ones. I'm a big believer in changing up your style as your lifestyle changes. So, I decided to mark the occasion of ending my time living in ankle-length skirts and ponytails with a style that doesn't match any of my current makeup and, frankly, won't allow for a ponytail. So, here we are!
Welcome home again!!! Love the new 'do :)
ReplyDeleteSo happy you're home safely! You look great!
ReplyDeleteWELCOME HOME!!! can't imagine how good yet a bit surreal it must all be. you look fabulous.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! It went fast reading your blogs, but I'm sure it feels ages since you've been home. Cute hair!
ReplyDeletethank you everyone!
ReplyDelete